A friend of mine took me to try a potato-cod fish croquette a while back. It was so good! .. and spicy!
So I was wondering if I could also make it. Well, I did! And it turned out great! Turned out even better than I expected it to.It was a recipe that I made up myself. MY OWN 🙂
My version was lighter, fresh, full of flavor and it melts in your mouth when you eat it.
So why save the recipe all to myself?
I brought some at work for my coworkers to try and they loved it so hopefully you will to! Happy Sunday!
- 4 potatoes
- 1 lb of salted cod fish pieces (also known as BACALAO)
- parsley and thyme
- Caribbean peppers (you can also use red pepper flakes)
- Salt (if needed), black pepper
- 3 radishes
- 2 tbsps of butter
- 1 onion
The procedure to unsalt the cod fish is the same as the one for unsalting smoked herring.
- Fill a recipient of water at room temperature. Let your cod fish soak inside the bowl for 10 to 12 hours or simply overnight. Change the water as often as you think you should. Check for saltiness.
- Clean your fish with white vinegar and massage it with two lemon halves. Drain out the lemon. Leave just a little bit to boil with the water.
- Fill a pot with water. Not too much. Just enough to cover the fish. Let it boil for 10-15 mns.
- Once you’re done boiling, drain the water out and start ” fishing” for bones. Take out the very hard bones.
- Tear the fish into small little pieces. That part should be easy because this will tend to happen as you’re taking out the bones. I used a fork and a knife to do so but you may do it your own way.
- Boil your potatoes until very tender. Peel off the skin.
- Cut your onions and radishes into dices. Add garlic, black pepper, salt (if you think your fish doesn’t have enough salt), thyme, parsley and crushed Caribbean pepper. BLEND! This will allow for the flavors to be well mixed with the potato and fish.
- Grab a big bowl and add onion mix, fish and potato into it. Now using your hands, massage them all together (if you think you might need gloves, don’t hesitate to use them)
- Add your 2 tbsps of butter and massage again.
- Grease a cookie sheet. Separate your mix into small little balls and bake at 350F
It should be ready in 20 to 30 mns. The more gold it gets, the more you can think it’s ready.